Friday, March 4, 2011

Fajita Sauce

Hubby and I LOVE fajitas.  Love, not like, not want to hold hands at summer camp then part ways never to see each other again.

We’re talking the BIG L.

So when we moved to TX we were kind of surprised to find that just about anything can pass for a fajita down here as long as there is meat in a tortilla.  Sadness – meat is good, but I love the flavorful slightly burnt onions and pops of peppers.

I took it upon myself to make fajitas at home and had a wonderful success!  I was surprised by some of the non-Mexican flavors that went into the original recipe that I found, but with a few tweaks of my own I ended up with a perky (but not spicy) Mexican delight.  I used chicken this first time, but will give it a whirl with other meats in the future.

Fajita Sauce
  • 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbs soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1 dash cumin
  • 4-5 drops of lime juice (more can be squeezed on the finished food, but this is just what goes in the sauce)
Mix all ingredients together in an air-tight container.  Add trimmed meat, seal and marinate for at least an hour.  Dump container out into a warm fry pan and saute until meat is partially cooked then add onion and peppers and cook until softened and meat is fully cooked.  Serve in tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, beans, cheese, sour cream, whatever you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment