Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hot Fudge Slow Cooker Cake

I love using my crock pot for unexpected things.  Not the best cake I've ever eaten, but when paired with vanilla ice cream it is the essence of comfort food.


Hot Fudge Slow Cooker Cake (adapted from Betty Crocker)
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 Tbs baking cocoa
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 Tbs canola oil
  • 1 Tbs natural applesauce
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. baking cocoa
  • 1 1/2 c. hot water
  • possible add-ins: 1/2 c. chopped nuts, or 1/4 c. chocolate chips, or nothing at all
Mix together first 8 ingredients.  Once combined add your chosen mix-in, or move on to the next step.  Spread batter evenly in the slow cooker (will be kind of thin, don’t worry).  Next mix the brown sugar, 1/4 c. cocoa in a small bowl, add the hot water stirring until dissolved and smooth. Pour sauce evenly over batter in the slow cooker.

Cook on high for 2 hours, or until cake passes the toothpick test.  Turn off the slow cooker and allow cake to rest 30-40 minutes.*  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Kim’s note:  When I opened my slow cooker I thought I’d burnt my cake!  But it turns out that the sauce settles to the bottom and the cake rises up to the top during the baking process.  The top will look dry, but the gooey sauce is just down under the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment