Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gnocchi

Gnocchi isn’t a meal that I order – I’m more a pasta girl, but I have seen Hubby eat it from time to time and he’s always pleased.  When I saw this recipe I decided to make it to impress my man, but it impressed me too.  This was fun to make and the freshness of homemade gnocchi pleased my palate just as much as my man's.

What’s great about gnocchi is its versatility.  I just went with a simple marinara meat sauce, but these could be made with pesto, alfredo, with primavera veggies, or in soups.  This recipe will be a repeat in our house for sure.

Gnocchi (adapted from Allrecipes.com)
  • 1 cup dry potato flakes
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbs shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Place potato flakes in a medium-size bowl. Pour in boiling water; stir until blended. Let mashed potatoes cool pushed to the side of the bowl. In the vacant space in the bowl add the egg and beat lightly, then add salt, pepper, and cheese.  Blend everything together until evenly dispursed.  Add flour, about 1/2 c. at a time, until the dough becomes fairly stiff.  Knead lightly until smooth.  Divide dough into small sections, then roll them out until they are as thin as an uncooked breadstick.  Use a sharp knife (floured if dough sticks) to cut small bite size chunks of dough.  Repeat until all dough is cut.
 
*If you aren’t going to cook these right away, they can be stored until dinner time covered in your fridge, but I’d recommend not stacking them very high and spraying them with a little cooking spray between layers so that they pull apart easier when it’s time to cook them.
 
To cook:  Boil water in a large pot.  Place gnocchi in boiling water (do about 1/4 of them at a time). The gnocchi are cooked when they float to the top. Remove from water with a slotted spoon. Serve warm with sauce of your choice.
 
*If your water is at a rolling boil it is hard to tell when the gnocchi are actually floating.  My first batch were a little tough (over cooked), so on the second run as soon as I saw some rising to the surface, I removed the pot from the heat, waited for the floaters to rise to the top, scooped them away, then put the pot back.  I kept doing that rotation until they were finished which gave me much better results.

No comments:

Post a Comment