Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cheesy Burger Chowder

The weather has turned cold, even down here in Texas.  The time has come for me to unveil a Mama D classic, Cheesy Burger Chowder (AKA Cheeseburger Soup, but I’ve never liked that name since it sounds like a burger, bun, and mustard in a blender – ick).

This soup is seriously out of this world.  It’s creamy, flavorful, loaded with veggies, but it’s also bad… so, so bad for you.

I almost chickened out of posting this recipe, it’s THAT bad.  I told Hubby that I didn’t think I’d ever be able to make it again in good conscience and he nearly cried.  So for him, I’m putting this recipe out there, and promising to keep on making it from time to time, but I’m also going to put my notes about how to cut out some of the fat and calories (both versions have been tested on us and both were considered delicious).

**Going to a potluck sometime this month?  This soup will make you a rock star, I guarantee it.**

Cheesy Burger Chowder – Mama D’s version, with Kim notes for cutting back fat
  • 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
  • 3/4 c. chopped onion
  • 3/4 c. shredded carrots (the amounts of veggies don’t need to be exact, I usually add a bit extra)
  • 3/4 c. diced celery
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. parsley
  • 4 Tbs. butter/margarine, divided (I don’t use any butter in my version)
  • 3 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 c. peeled and diced potatoes (small bite sizes work best so that they cook faster)
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 8 oz. Velveeta (I use the 2% milk variety that has less fat)
  • 1 1/2 c. milk (skim)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt (I skip this)
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 c. sour cream (I use fat-free)
Brown beef, drain, set aside.  In a large soup pot saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 Tbs butter (or just use some cooking spray if omitting butter) until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.  Add broth, potatoes, and beef.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender (this time will really depend on the size of the potatoes you cut).  Meanwhile, melt remaining 3 Tbs butter in a small saucepan and add flour.  Cook and stir for about 3 minutes or until bubbly, then add it to soup and bring to a boil.  (If not using butter, just throw the flour in the soup, but be very attentive for lumps and smash them out on the side of the pot with a fork if necessary.) Boil for 2 minutes, stirring well.  Reduce heat to low, add cheese in small chunks, milk, salt and pepper.  Cook and stir until cheese is melted, remove from heat and blend in sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment