Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Banana Oat & Flax Pancakes

I saw a recipe similar to this from Amazon last week, so I decided to adapt it to my own preferences and pantry.  We ended up with a delicious, thick pancake that wasn't as gummy as other banana pancakes we've tried.

Banana Oat & Flax Pancakes

  • 1 banana
  • 2 c old fashioned oats
  • 2 Tbs ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 Tbs natural sweetener (I use coconut palm sugar, but you could use maple syrup, honey, agave, or just plain cane sugar too)
  • 1.5 c milk of choice (we used vanilla soy milk)

    Flavor Options:
  • For a "gingerbread" pancake which is what we did, add 1 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp ginger
  • For next time I want to try 1 tsp cinnamon with 1/2 tsp nutmeg for more of a banana bread flavor
  • Could try adding 1 Tbs of apple cider vinegar to the milk for a buttermilk pancake tang
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Cook on a griddle or in a pan until set, flipping halfway through. These pancakes did not stick to our griddle, but for best results, test yours for sticking and use a spray or oil if needed.

Sorry I didn't get better pictures of the pancakes, we snarfed them down because they were so good, and I didn't think of saving the recipe till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment