Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pumpkin Chili

This chili is my new FAVORITE (and I've tried a lot of recipes). The pumpkin flavor is hidden, it just add a richness and thickener to the sauce.  The original recipe called for meat, but I altered it a bit to make it vegetarian, but I'll put the meat instructions in also, because I might want to try it that way someday too.

About the pic - I LOVE serving chili over baked potatoes, but it also can be eaten alone, over rice, or as delicious Navajo Tacos/Taco salads.

Pumpkin Chili (adapted from realmomkitchen.com)

This is my vegetarian version, look below for meat instructions:
  • 1 HUGE sweet onion (or 2 small), chopped
  • 1-1/2 sweet peppers, chopped (I used red, but yellow or orange would work too)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (use 3/4 tsp garlic powder if you don't have garlic on hand)
  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 3 cans (15 ounces each) beans of your choice (I used black beans, no-salt pinto, & light Kidney), rinsed and drained
  • 1-2 cups frozen corn kernels (the more you use the sweeter the chili, I only used about 1 cup)
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin (such as Libby brand)
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large skillet, saute the onion & pepper with a little cooking spray until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

For the meat version: Cut back this recipe to be only 2 cans of beans and 1 pepper. Add to it 2 cups of cooked ground beef, ground turkey, or shredded chicken. If using beef, you may also want to change to beef broth, but I haven't tested that version, so I can't vouch for its tastiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment