Monday, July 25, 2011

French Bread (Bread Maker)

I was shocked at this recipe - it doesn't do the normal egg-wash, steam pan steps that I've come to associate with French bread recipes and yet it came out with the same flavor and texture that I get from grocery store bread.  I'll make this again A LOT!


French Bread for Bread Maker (adapted from vegweb.com)
  • 1 3/8 cups water (3/8 cup = 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast 
Add ingredients to bread maker according to manufacturer instructions (for me it goes water, oil, salt, sugar, flour, yeast).

If you want to bake it in the bread maker: set it to the french setting and let it go.

If you want to bake it like me:  Set maker to dough cycle. When the cycle ends, remove dough, punch down and form into 4 loaves, place on a baking sheet that is greased or has a no-stick lining (I use no-stick foil). Cover with greased saran wrap and let rise in a warm place* until double or triple in size (the bread rises like CRAZY).  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Check for doneness, if the outside is browned and it sounds hollow when tapped then you're good!

I made mine the night before, covered it and set it in the fridge. 3 hours before bake time I took it out of the fridge and let it warm to room temp before baking.

Also makes GREAT garlic bread sticks or add 2 tsp italian herbs for an herb-y loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment