Sunday, May 15, 2011

Spanish Red Beans and Rice

I made this tonight by throwing some things together that I had around. I didn't take pics, since I didn't plan to post it, but Mom and Dad asked for the recipe so here goes.

Spanish Red Beans and Rice

  • Cooked Brown Rice (I had about 3.5 cups, but you could use as little as 2)
  • 1 med onion, finely chopped
  • 1 zucchini, finely chopped
  • 2 handfuls of baby carrots, finely chopped
  • 1 cup or so of frozen corn
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1 can pinto beans (I used no salt pintos and it was still great)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 Tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • splashes of chicken broth

I set my brown rice to cook, then I chopped my zuchini, onion, and carrots using a food processor to make them very fine - the idea was to hide the sneaker veggies from my picky eater. Next I threw all of the veggies into my biggest frying pan with a few splashes of broth.  I sauteed them on med-high heat until they softened up (which was very fast since they were so fine). Next I added the garlic and cooked it until just fragrant.

Next add tomato sauce and all of the spices, stir to combine.  Next add the cooked brown rice and cilantro. Mix together until rice, sauce, and veggies are evenly distributed. This is meant to be a play on Red Beans and Rice + Mexican Rice, so it won't be very saucy. If you're worried that it is too dry, you can always add a few more splashes of broth. 

Serve with fresh chopped tomatoes on top - also wonderful with avocados, sour cream, and baked chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment