Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stuffing Casserole

We had a box of stuffing.  Stuffing that didn’t get used at Thanksgiving and that I didn’t know what to do with now.


I’m not roasting another turkey just to make dollar stuffing, I thought.

But Hubby told me that men need stuffing sometimes and that he knew I’d come up with something.
I usually don’t even like stuffing, but I do like experimenting, so I took him up on the challenge.  I looked over all of the recipes on the box, threw together the parts from all of them that I liked, added what I had in my average pantry and ended up with, Stuffing Casserole:

Easy, tasty, flavorful.  Not a bad use of lost, abandoned, forgotten, stuffing mix.

Stuffing Casserole
  • 4 Chicken Breasts, cut into bite size pieces or 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, sliced or chopped depending on your preferences
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 can reduced fat cream of chicken or mushroom soup
  • 1/2 c. skim milk
  • 1 c. frozen peas and carrots
  • 2 celery stalks sliced lengthwise then chopped medium-thin
  • 1 package turkey stuffing (I used Stove Top)
  • 1 2/3 c. hot water
Saute meat with onions until mostly cooked, then add celery slices for the last few minutes.  Mix stuffing with hot water and let stand, covered for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile drain excess moisture from the chicken and veggies, then mix them with remaining ingredients.  Prepare a 2 quart baking dish with a little cooking spray, put down a thin later of stuffing, top with chicken mixture, then top chicken with remaining stuffing.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment