Sunday, February 27, 2011

Curried Chicken and Lentils

When I found this recipe, I knew that I found something special.  It has great flavors, tons of possibilities for add-ins, and best of all it’s SO HEALTHY!

Curried Chicken and Lentils*
  • 4 chicken breast pieces, trimmed of fat
  • 1 c. Minute Rice (I used brown Minute Rice which adds an extra element of health)
  • 2 Tbs. curry powder
  • 3 c. water
  • 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 c. lentils (rinsed and picked over to remove foreign objects)
  • 3 bouillon cubes (I used chicken, but you could use vegetable if desired)
  • 1 medium red potato, cut to very small cubes
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 c. frozen peas and carrots, thawed and drained of excess moisture
Combine all ingredients, except peas and carrots in your slow cooker.  Cook on low for 4 hours, shred chicken if desired, then add the thawed and drained peas and carrots. Cook for an additional half hour.  Serve alone, or possibly over mashed potatoes.

*To serve as a side dish, leave out the chicken and up the amount of veggies.

1 comment:

  1. i love coming to your site for dinner ideas! made this today and it was so yummy! I love it because I can just add whatever veggies we have on hand- a great clean out the fridge meal!

    ReplyDelete